Wednesday 2 October 2013

The "greatest" National Holydays ever....


First to all, I have to recognize that I am not a "patriotic" person. I think that the nationalism an chovinism had made a great damage to many peoples in the entire world. That conviction have been strenghtened after reading the book "Armageddon: the downfall of Germany 1944-1945", in which it is shown the horrors of the final stage of World War II and the fall of Nazi Germany, the last days of August.

Nevertheless, and with except of the militarism of the "parade" and the nationalism that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, there are many things and reasons that I like regard this holidays. First, they are like our "carnaval" and/or a "spring break", all in a unique celebration, and that is important, given the many hours that the chileans dedicated to work, and to transportation (specially in Santiago),and the high rates of depression an axiety disorders diagnosed in chilean population. Second, this holidays are a chance to enjoy many cultural events that you cannot see in the rest of the year, like the cueca's dancers (and other national dances from all the country), and above all, the popular gastronomy, that everybody can enjoy in this month (like barbacues, "empanadas" and "anticuchos") . And third, I can travel to Rancagua, my home city and gather with my family and friends.  

But all my plans to this holidays were interrupted by the inexpected appearance of a little "countryman": the flu virus, which send literally to the bed for 7 days. Presicely, the holiday's week.

The good news is that I can rest and sleep, but when I saw throw the window the childrens with their "volantines", I have to recognize that a feel of sadness involved my mind...

And now, I hope that my ugly "countryman" don't walk along me again at the new year's celebrations!!!

1 comment: